Christmas is in four days! For all those who have not yet thought about what will fill their stomachs, we have prepared something! Today we reveal the recipe for a delicious Irish Stew. The advantage is that this dish is also great for freezing. We wish you a lot of pleasure in preparing it!
Irish stew with lamb
- Lamb (26.5 oz)
- White cabbage (21 oz)
- Potatoes (21 oz)
- 3-4 Carrots
- Parsnip (5.3 oz)
- Pearl barley (2-4 oz)
- 3 Onions
- Marbled bacon (5.3 oz)
- Salt, pepper, thyme
- Remove fat from meat and cut into cubes of about 1 inch.
- Remove the stem from the cabbage and cut into pencil-thick sticks.
- Dice onions, peel potatoes and slice carrots and parsnips raw.
- Cut the bacon into thin slices.
- Precook the lamb for about 15 minutes and keep the cooking water!
- In a large pot, overlap the bacon slices on the bottom and sides of the pot and pile them up slightly.
- Now add the prepared ingredients in layers to the pot, starting with the potatoes.
- Then add carrots, parsnips, barley, meat and white cabbage.
- Pour the cooking water over the meat so that all the ingredients are covered about a finger's breadth.
- If necessary, add more broth (barley will absorb a lot of liquid).
- Add spices to taste.
- Seal the pot as well as possible and cook in the oven for about 90 minutes at about 338°F.
This also works great with the Dutch Oven over an open fire!
Goile maith - Enjoy your meal!